RSS

Congratulations Jessica Watson!

(Photo by Jon Sant Photography)

I have been watching the television coverage of the homecoming of teenage sailor, Jessica Watson. It's an amazing day for this brave young lady, her family, for Australia, and for the sailing world. At the age of 16, she has sailed around the world in her yacht unassisted, an enormous voyage that lasted 210 days.

I remember, 7 months ago, the bumpy start to her journey and how we all watched the news in concern. Would she make it? Every now and then, Jessica's progress was mentioned in the news and I would quietly cheer her on from my lounge room.

In recent weeks, the media had given her somewhat of a tough time, debating whether her solo adventure could be classed as a new world record and copyright issues regarding the name of her yacht. In my mind, all petty bureaucracy that we really didn't need to focus on. My husband and I yelled at the TV screen to give her a break! We don't know Jessica but it's easy to feel excited for her, who at such a young age, tested herself against the elements in a huge adventure that most people would never undertake.

I'm happy that I'm able to pay tribute to Jessica's amazing effort today on my blog. I'm not sure how big this news is outside of Australia, but the welcome at Sydney harbour and at the Opera House is befitting the history that was made today. Jessica Watson is the youngest person to have ever sailed around the world unassisted. I'm sure there is a bright future ahead for this remarkable young lady!!

Hope you're having a great weekend!

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

3 comments:

Mariodacat said...

What an amazing young woman. Thanks for sharing.

Jacqueline said...

Jessica Watson is a very talented and brave young woman; what a huge accomplishment for any age!!...Glad she is ok and achieved her goal...Have a great weekend friend.

Reenie said...

Yea, I have been following the news too.
It's a nifty little blog you have here- KKP's mom!
Never been to Adelaide, I should change that :)

-Reenie (Sherkhan's mommy)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...