RSS

Make-up doesn't last forever, eww

I saw a segment on Sunrise (Channel 7) the other day about how long a make-up product lasts. I think many of us purchases an item and keeps it forever and ever – how many people actually finishes using a product and buys a repeat? I certainly don't…

I'm always seeking out a new mascara, new foundation, new lip gloss, or anything, that I'd like to try. Then I walk into a department store or a skincare shop and find even more products to try. I've collected so many varieties of each kind of make-up, and consequently my cupboard has spilled over into a drawer in the medicine cabinet, as well as an extra storage box… They are filled with all the products that I've tried for a month and moved onto the next thing. I've kept them all.

Well, today, I'm writing to discard that myth that make-up lasts forever. It harbours germs and bacteria, just like any perishable item in the fridge. I compiled a list from that Sunrise segment for how long each make-up item lasts:

Mascara: 3 months

Foundation: 12 months, or liquid foundation: 6 months

Lip gloss: 18 months

Eye shadow & blush: 2 years

Here's the link to the video segment from Sunrise

I think I should throw away 75% of my make-up products. Another way to avoid harmful germs growing in your mascara or lip gloss (eww GROSS, can you imagine that?) is to place the products in the freezer overnight at a frequency of every couple of months – because it can get expensive to throw away stuff so frequently.

We should also be washing our make-up brushes at least every 2 months. I think I'm pretty good with this. I make it a hobby to wash my brushes as I love watching all the brown stuff come out. I know that sounds pretty disgusting, but it's more disgusting to leave it in there! If you have never washed your brushes, I think you would be surprised how much make-up is actually caked on inside those bristles!

So I share with you a washing method I picked up from a magazine:

  1. Place 1/2 cup of bicarb into a small tub of hot-to-boiling water (60-100°C).
  2. Soak the brushes in the tub and leave overnight.
  3. Next morning, wearing rubber gloves, rinse as much dirt off as possible in the bicarb water.
  4. Wash the brushes with a few drops of dishwashing liquid.
  5. Leave out to dry.

The only problem with this is that you might need a second set of brushes to tie you over for that morning, but it is definitely worth it.

With a bit of care, we can avoid harmful germs, and hopefully have clearer skin too!

By the way, don't even think about sharing make-up products with other people, or applying testers to your face! Yuck yuck yuck!

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

5 comments:

Jacqueline said...

That's really great information about something you never really think about...I don't really like makeup and don't wear very much=just mascara, coverup under my eyes and a little powder...I have never used foundation/base makeup in my life!...I have tattooed eyeliner and lips and I love it!...Have a great day!

Mariodacat said...

Mario's M here - great information. It's something we do need reminding about.

Amy and The House of Cats said...

I knew that makeup didn't last long but I admit I am still bad about getting rid of it (I almost never wear it is part of the reason - most of the stuff is almost full!) The brush thing is interesting - I usually wash them with dish soap but didn't know about the pre-soak part - what a great tip!

Reenie said...

Just wanted to wish you luck with your big move... not many days left now...

All the best.

-Reenie and Sherkhan

retriever said...

Very lovely Priscilia, happy life, greeting from Belgium

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...