RSS

Mr Toby – the bird

Living in Australia, we often come across these long water birds known as egrets – although I would say that that name is not commonly known even by Australians. I used to see various types of egrets growing up, and I have always loved how sleek and beautiful they look.

Living in the wetlands north of Adelaide, we’d often see one or two, or sometimes even up to five, walking around among the reeds and small creeks and lakes near our house.

I would always refer to ‘that thin long neck bird’ – one day, Graeme decided he looked like a ‘thin riesling bottle’ so we named him Riesling bird.

About a week later, we were discussing the ‘Riesling bird’ and decided it was too much of a mouthful – so we renamed him Toby.

For weeks we were talking about Toby in fascination. I mean they’re pretty handsome birds! If we ever saw a second one, we’d just call him Tony… haha!

Anyway, one day I actually spotted Toby perched on top of the next door neighbour’s fence! I was so honoured that he came near our house!  P1100918nP1100928nP1100945nP1100944n

I actually took the effort to look up what Toby was. I think he’s a ‘Great Egret’ - http://birdsinbackyards.net/species/Ardea-alba

While I was in a hurry taking these pics, some cats escaped…

P1100929nn P1100936n P1100940nn

And the next door neighbour’s dog was excited to see me… Her name is Bella. She’s constantly barking at Kenji from across the fence.

P1100947n

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

6 comments:

Kea said...

Toby the egret is cool! Very neat that he came so close and you were able to get all those pics!

Amy and The House of Cats said...

Wow egrets are pretty cool birds! And the kitties are cute of course - and Bella too! A bunch of great pictures all around!

Mariodacat said...

Egrets are very bootiful birdies. I not seem dem in WI, cuz it's too cold for dem up here. But, my peeps have seen them in Flordia.

Goldie, Shade and Banshee said...

Hello there Toby!! You are one big fella!!

ABBY said...

Well hello Toby -- it looks like we weren't the only ones happy to see you!

purrs
>^,,^<
Abby

Jacqueline said...

Great photos...Toby is a beautiful, regal egret and Bella is a cutie!...I voted again for Keiko and Kenji.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...